Remote Desktop Services

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service to gather feature suggestions for Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Vote for a feature or submit your own below!

The Fine Print: We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note that the Microsoft Remote Desktop Services suggestion box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support publishing universal apps as RemoteApps

Why not allow universal apps to be published as RemoteApps? Obviously it should be possible to interact with them using touch/pen/etc.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. RD Web Client Offline Install

Install the RDWeb Client on a system that has no internet connectivity. Some scenarios especially at the customer do not allow Internet access.
    While the PowerShell modules can be downloaded separately with workarounds like Publish-Module etc to install the module manually. At step 5) from the official documentation (Install-RDWebClientPackage), it tries to download a “rd-html5-1.0.0.zip” file. This will not work on servers without internet and even if we get the .zip file downloaded on a separate machine, we cannot add it as parameter to “Install-RDWebClientPackage"

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop using ActiveX in RD Web Access

When starting RemoteApps via RD Web Access it uses ActiveX. This means browsers like Microsoft Edge and Chrome gives a bad user experience since users have to download the file and then click to start it. This often breaks SSO too. Please change the way we start RemoteApps.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  End-User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Full redundancy for License servers and License pinning

I want to be able to have Active/Active license servers, and have my licence packs be shared across them. It is difficult to manage multiple license servers each with portions of my licenses. In addition, I would like to be able to reserve blocks of license for specific session hosts or farms. For example, I have an application group that needs to buy 10 licenses for their application. Currently those 10 licenses go into the pool of licenses. I have no way of ensuring those licenses are available for their intended purpose.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Display which Remote App is being used by users in Server Manager

In 2012 R2 Server Manager, it is not possible to see which Remote App is being used by users.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  RemoteApp Programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support for Windows Server Core

For the Core RDS Infrastructre such as connection broker , web access gateways ect

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove WID or SQL dependencies for Broker

I know that RDS needs a place where save some informations, like VDI configuration, but is not normal that I must have a SQL Standard to use Broker HA.

AD could be a good repository or the alternative is use, by default, SQL Express and find a way to replicate the configuration between each Broker. IT Admin can select to use SQL Standard (if present).

S

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better suppprt for MFA with RDG

Add a configurable RDG timeout as opposed to current hard coded 30 second timeout so MFA authentications can exceed 30 seconds.

Add support for challenge - response such that MFA can be used with One Way SMS codes or OATH tokens with OTPs.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Change WVD Licensing to support Multi-Cloud and real OnPrem

A lot of companies have multi-location scenarios, including multi-cloud scenarios.
    Today it is very common that services will be put into the cloud, that suits the service most (cost wise or ressource wise).
    WVD does not fit into this scenario as it can not be put into the same cloud where the services reside that will be used.
    And this is not always O365 or any other MS Service, it could be a totally different scenario.
    Putting the desktop into Azure and the service into another cloud will end up the user complaining performance and therefor giving not a good…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. create a rdp client for windows 10 IoT

I was looking into the possibility to create low cost Thin Clients with Raspberry Pi running windows 10 IoT, but it lacks a rdp client. I understand win 10 IoT has a small footprint for a reason, but making this available as some sort off add-on would be great.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Full Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. file transfer between host and remote computer is needed

file transfer between host and remote computer

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add support for publishing RDWeb and RDGW via Azure AD App Proxy with Azure AD Authentication so conditional access works in Edge and Chrome

Add support for publishing RDWeb and RD Gateway via Azure AD Application Proxy with Azure AD Authentication enabled when using Edge and Chrome so that features such as conditional access and MFA are available.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please add feature to migrate machine list from one remote desktop assistant to another

Please add feature to export machine list from one remote desktop assistant to import into another remote desktop

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Full Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please add support for scale by a factor of 2 in RDP client mstsc.exe

Modern laptops and tablets, such as the Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4, have small screens with very high resolution. When you RDP into an older server OS, everything is too tiny to read. Add an option in the mstsc.exe RDP client, to scale by a factor of 2. So a session of resolution 1024 x 768 is displayed as 2048 x 1536. Each single pixel on the server is rendered as a 2x2 pixel block on the client. This simple integer factor of 2 makes this client update easy to implement and retains fast display performance. No update…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  End-User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow RDGateway to Authenticate with Kerberos and Disable NTLM

We use RemoteApps for many of our IT Tools, and we'd like to protect those servers. I tried putting my user accounts in the Protected Users group, which doesn't allow NTLM authentication, so then it would not let me use RemoteApps of my IT Tools.

Please allow some authentication without NTLM so that Protected Users can use RemoteApps.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make User Profile disks work for more than one collection! You often need more than one app collection for apps that cannot coexist on 1RDSH

Make User Profile disks work for more than one collection! You often need more than one app collection for apps that cannot coexist on a server farm. Now you need to create a dedicated UPD for each collection or VDI. Please make it possible to share it.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable "Settings Page Visibility" in Server 2016

Windows 10 "Settings Page Visibility" functionality needs to work in Server 2016. One can remove the entire control panel, but that then removes things like being able to set the background. We need a finer grained mechanism, like the one recently exposed in Windows 10 call "Settings Page Visibility".

This could also go under End User Experience.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Force drain of a server

Currently, when you try to drain the server, which is partly down (for insance: Windows Firewall service is crashed and won't come up), drain will fail. For these situations, you want to be able to force a server into drain.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base