Remote Desktop Services

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service to gather feature suggestions for Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Vote for a feature or submit your own below!

The Fine Print: We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note that the Microsoft Remote Desktop Services suggestion box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Live migration" of users from one Farm member to another.

I'd like to be able to live migrate a User's session from Server A to Server B. This would allow me to more quickly perform maintenance on a node in my farm without logging off or disconnecting users. Drain is a good start, but still depends on the users logging out.

339 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  21 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve RDS Management Tools

If there's a problem into RDS environment, like RDVH lost, the only way to resolve it is open SQL DB with SSMS but is not too friendly for the classic IT Admin.

Is foundamental have a "AWESOME" tool to manage all the object without use SSMS (that is not installed by default).

S

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  End-User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Let us select multiple connected RDS users through the Gui

Let us select multiple RDS users in order to send them a message or disconnect them.
    This seemingly basic ability was possible up to 2008 r2 then was inexplicably taken away since Windows 2012 where we have to resort to scripting or select users one at a time!

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dynamic rescaling

It would be nice if there was a native support for dynamic rescaling of the remote desktop in accordance with the size of the Remote Desktop Client app (window), like it is done in Citrix solutions. Imagine a situation when you have multiple screens with different resolutions and you launch the client on one of those and move the window to another screen. Currently a reconnect may be needed in order to make the remote desktop smaller/larger to align to the new screen

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  End-User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fully featured, manageable RD client bootable image for USB drives. This would enable a multitude of inexpensive options for RDSE solutions!

If MS would offer a prepackaged WinPE/AIK/ADK-like boot environment with a solid RD client, in a bootable image for USB drives and other local or network storage devices (bootable ISO?)... I think it could be an extremely effective component of many RDSE, VDI, and similar solutions. I can imagine a lot of scenarios where a standard, widely-used product of this kind could be tremendously effective. . I could go on and on (too late) about how this could benefit a wide variety of enterprise solutions, or be modified to suit many different additional situations, but I bet the people in…

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create a "RD Client" Extension for Chromebooks with "Remote Desktop Gateway" support!

This would fit the needs for lots of school that have started deploying Chromebooks and need access to windows services!

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  End-User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support publishing universal apps as RemoteApps

Why not allow universal apps to be published as RemoteApps? Obviously it should be possible to interact with them using touch/pen/etc.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Full redundancy for License servers and License pinning

I want to be able to have Active/Active license servers, and have my licence packs be shared across them. It is difficult to manage multiple license servers each with portions of my licenses. In addition, I would like to be able to reserve blocks of license for specific session hosts or farms. For example, I have an application group that needs to buy 10 licenses for their application. Currently those 10 licenses go into the pool of licenses. I have no way of ensuring those licenses are available for their intended purpose.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support for Windows Server Core

For the Core RDS Infrastructre such as connection broker , web access gateways ect

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove WID or SQL dependencies for Broker

I know that RDS needs a place where save some informations, like VDI configuration, but is not normal that I must have a SQL Standard to use Broker HA.

AD could be a good repository or the alternative is use, by default, SQL Express and find a way to replicate the configuration between each Broker. IT Admin can select to use SQL Standard (if present).

S

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make Windows Store apps work when using User Profile Disks

Please let us change the install location or simply change the install location of any user installed Windows Store apps so they are located in the UPD of a VDI Pool. This has been broken since WIn8 and Win10 does not fix it.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable more options "Per user" instead of "Per Farm"

Examples: GPO for Copy/Paste restrictions are Computer settings. I need to limit certain classes of user from copy/paste and allow other without creating separate farms. The same situation applies to Printing features. Basicly I need to be able to apply "Computer" settings for RDS control to the "User" context.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Backwards compatability of core infrastructure

I would like to be able to build a new 2012 R2 RDS infrastructure but be able to publish RemoteApp from my 2008 R2 RDS session hosts. It's very complex to try and migrate the many applications and farms at once. I also have applications that depend on specific versions of IE or other software that cannot run on 2012 R2. Even a limited functionality mode that would downlevel features of lower RDS version session hosts would help bridge the gap.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Increase rdp-tcp listener ID more than 65536

65536 is small number already. It is easy to achieve. After reaching it Windows begins to behave improperly.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base