Remote Desktop Services

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service to gather feature suggestions for Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Vote for a feature or submit your own below!

The Fine Print: We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note that the Microsoft Remote Desktop Services suggestion box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Display which Remote App is being used by users in Server Manager

In 2012 R2 Server Manager, it is not possible to see which Remote App is being used by users.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  RemoteApp Programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. RemoteApp without enabling desktop session

Why can't i enable remoteapp without adding peple to remote desktop security group this should be segregated, i don't want end users to logon to the server.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Make RemoteApp application open new windows on same monitor as parent window

Applications often open additional windows from the "parent" window.

In RemoteApp with a multiple monitor environment, if the parent window is moved off the primary display, the child window still opens on the primary monitor, not the secondary monitor. It should be possible to make child windows always open on the same monitor as the parent.

Some examples of this: running Powershell as a RemoteApp published app, opening a new window (any application) using invoke-item causes the child window to open on the primary display, when the parent Powershell window is on the secondary display.

An example where this does…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  RemoteApp Programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Resolve longstanding window ordering issues with RemoteApp on Win 10

Window ordering is still an issue in RemoteApp. Popups sometimes ending up behind parent windows has been greatly reduced, but currently in Outlook as a RemoteApp, when tooltips pop up in the message pane, Outlook will randomly disappear behind other windows. This and other window ordering issues have been going on for over a year when connecting to Server 2016 from Windows 10.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  RemoteApp Programs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix RemoteApp issues with mstsc.exe on Windows 10 1809 & 1903

Ever since Windows 10 1709, mstsc.exe does not work as designed. z-order issues persist as well as application windows periodically stop refreshing even though an administrator shadowing a user from the server can see the applications functioning normally.

My fall back is to run the 1703 version of mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll, but this is only a stop-gap and is not without significant supportability issues.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. documentation

Keep the documentation current! It's almost the end of 2017 and the documentation changes in Server 2016 RemoteApp are non-existent. It's very inefficient to have to guess our way through features.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Support Multiple Monitors on Android Remote Desktop Client

To boost productivity, Android Remote Desktop Client should support multiple monitors. Currently on windows you are able to remote using all your monitors. I currently use an Asus Chrome Book and work remotely on occasion. It would be great if I could use multiple monitors when remoting into my desktop. I have hear lots of similar feedback in my company.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. full screen

Leider nutzt die APP nicht den kompletten Bildschirm des 11" ipad pro. Eine kurzfristige Anpassung würe hier wünschenswert. Für die Nutzung von Microsoft Programmen auf einem entfernten Rechner über VPN und Remote Desktop ist der verlorene Bildschirmplatz ärgerlich.

Bitte die App auf die Displaygröße des 11" Ipad Pro anpassen. Vielen Dank, vieleicht ist das ja auch schon in Bearbeitung.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Zbrush Remote Pen Pressure

Add pen pressure feature to zbrush while in a remote desktop session

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. RD Web Client - Print directly to printer

Allow the ability to print straight to local printers with the RD web client. I have 2k+ users that I would immediately move to the web client deployment if they could print directly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. cmd + c / ctrl + v in RDP stopped working after last update (COPY & PASTE)

Does anybody has the same problem like I do? When I copy any text in MacOS I am not able to "insert" is with ctrl + v or right click and pressing insert. Simply it does not access the memory...

Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Keyboard issue

After the latest Windows 10 1903 update some users are experiencing that keyboard strokes sometimes get registered mulitiple times. This of course is realy problematic in all kinds of apps. The problem is only in Remote Apps and for both built in apps (notepad, cmd...) and Microsoft/3.party apps (Word, Chrome...). See this forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4c7a746a-f9b6-4591-892d-828d883e50d6/windows-10-1903-remoteapp-repeating-keystrokes?forum=winserverTS

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Be able to use remote desktop through the internet browser

Be able to use remote desktop through the internet browser as universities may not be on Windows 10 and have the remote desktop app
    It would be nice to visit a link, just like https://remotedesktop.google.com/ which allows you to remote desktop just using the browser.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Use the keyboard to navigate RemoteApps

Just what it sounds. Instead of having to go to the search box just do a few keystrokes to move the selection closer to the target RemoteApp. Using the search box clears out every other non-matching RemoteApp, clicking said program to launch it moves focus away from the search box and thus it must brought back to it and then be cleared to show all the RemoteApps again. A simple [esc] keystroke after launching a program wouldn't work because focus is now elsewhere. It's cumbersome.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. dual monitors

I just upgraded from Windows Home to Windows Pro so that I could use dual monitors when using Remote Desktop. I have checked the box under options to allow all my monitors when using a remote session but I still can't drag a file to the second screen. How do I fix this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make remote desktop work seamlessly with windows.

Making it easier to set up remote desktop.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Local printer support on new RDP apps

Please put local printer support back as an option into your new RDP apps. I have just upgraded to Win10 and will be sticking with the old version of RDP. I can't do my job without local printer support on RDP. It's an unbelievably useful function and a huge step backwards to remove it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. add remote resource app shortcut to android home screen

I know I can use the remote desktop android app widget to add a saved desktop to the homescreen as a shortcut.
    I'm looking for a way to pin the remote resource apps as shortcuts.

This would make it so that, to the end user, it looks like they are just opening an app on their tablet or phone that they recognize rather than needing to... open remote desktop, go to the resources tab, expand the collection, and then open the app.

We don't have the most technical user base so being able to have this would be very helpful!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. remote desktop osx command-line

Support command-line flags in OSX RDP client for launching connections.

The current UI requires a mess of clicking to connect to a host and with a mix of cloud and on-prem hosts that have a variety of config differences, manually creating configs is time consuming and non-scaleable for management.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base