Remote Desktop Services

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service to gather feature suggestions for Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Vote for a feature or submit your own below!

The Fine Print: We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note that the Microsoft Remote Desktop Services suggestion box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. RDWeb and RDGateway authentication thru ADFS

To accomplish this at the moment you have to do a lot of work and if jou still would have SSO you have to put the ActiveX controll in the ADFS logon page. and this only works with IE.

We use ADFS because of the use of MFA

So it would be great if this is build in and have SSO with the remote desktop App

146 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Password Change Possibillity in the NLA Protocol.

Originated at: http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/301872-remote-desktop-services/suggestions/10773021-password-change-possibillity-in-the-nla-protocol

An item that is coming up as a recommendation in security scans every year is that NLA should be set to exclusively on for our server environments. NLA is a great concept. It works well to help secure the server environment. That said, it also complicates things for users in the environment when password resets occur via the help desk.

To prevent a situation where the Help Desk staff have passwords to potentially sensitive accounts after reset, many regulations require that the "Change Password at Next Logon" bit be checked after a password reset occurs.

In my…

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Full USB redirection in Session Host mode

Let us finally have FULL USB redirection support in Session host mode.
    Just like Citrix or 2x.
    There is no way to use Scanner or USB token or some USB device (besides usb flash) in session host mode aka terminal services

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support publishing universal apps as RemoteApps

Why not allow universal apps to be published as RemoteApps? Obviously it should be possible to interact with them using touch/pen/etc.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Better suppprt for MFA with RDG

Add a configurable RDG timeout as opposed to current hard coded 30 second timeout so MFA authentications can exceed 30 seconds.

Add support for challenge - response such that MFA can be used with One Way SMS codes or OATH tokens with OTPs.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. file transfer between host and remote computer is needed

file transfer between host and remote computer

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow RDGateway to Authenticate with Kerberos and Disable NTLM

We use RemoteApps for many of our IT Tools, and we'd like to protect those servers. I tried putting my user accounts in the Protected Users group, which doesn't allow NTLM authentication, so then it would not let me use RemoteApps of my IT Tools.

Please allow some authentication without NTLM so that Protected Users can use RemoteApps.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Microsoft needs to get working on RDSH with native RemoteFX support

At this stage with Windows Server 2016 RemoteFX only works with VDI and not RDSH. Microsoft needs to get motivated and add the ability so that I can share multiple GPU's with all of my users on one server.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make Windows Store apps work when using User Profile Disks

Please let us change the install location or simply change the install location of any user installed Windows Store apps so they are located in the UPD of a VDI Pool. This has been broken since WIn8 and Win10 does not fix it.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support Redirection of Webcams and other peripherals without Hyper-V

Currently a user that wants to use Skype for Business videoconferencing over RDP can't unless they are remoting into Hyper-V hosted VM. For organizations that don't use Hyper-V as their hypervisor, or when users are remoting into a physical desktop, RemoteFX device redirection does not work. Citrix XenDesktop allows redirecting of the webcam over the ICA channel, but XenDesktop is expensive, complex, and has a very heavy footprint on the desktop. We'd like to be able to do native redirection of the webcam using RDP.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix audiosrv crashing other applications on server 2016

We've been experiencing random problems on our RDSH vmware environment. At random times, the audiosrv seems to trouble other applications and makes them not respond anymore, restarting the audio service temporarily fixes the problem. I have made a gpo to restart the audiosrv, but of course this is not a solution.

We are currently on KB4489889 (OS Build 14393.2879)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SSO shouldn't require CredSSP

Can the terminal services team explain the need for CredSSP when Kerberos is already there and does SSO?
    MIT solved this problem in the late 80s when they came up with Kerberos.
    Why not use forwardable tickets (Kerberos https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.13/doc/user/tkt_mgmt.html) rather than storing and transmitting passwords (CredSSP https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2007/04/19/how-to-enable-single-sign-on-for-my-terminal-server-connections/)?
    The storage of passwords that can be read from memory (https://digital-forensics.sans.org/blog/2012/03/09/protecting-privileged-domain-accounts-disabling-encrypted-passwords/) is not an improvement over temporary tickets that expire.
    It looks like developers missed a natural opportunity at simplification and security here, and for a long time I've been wondering "what's the explanation?".

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Increase rdp-tcp listener ID more than 65536

65536 is small number already. It is easy to achieve. After reaching it Windows begins to behave improperly.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Protocol  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Remote Desktop Client 10.1.1088 (Windows 10 1709) does not support proxies for accessing RDP over HTTPS gateways.

Remote Desktop Client 10.1.1088 (Windows 10 1709 64-bit) does not support proxies for accessing RDP over HTTPS gateways. It does not appear to use the built-in Internet Explorer system proxy settings.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 10bit color support (1024 values for RGB+A)(40bit color) for remote desktop.

I want to run a thin client on my file server (in the form of an Ubuntu KVM) and remote into my renderfarm and still be able to utilize my 10bit monitor on the thin client by installing a K1200 GPU in the file server.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. unsupported OpenGL profiles fallback

(trying to start Ultimaker Cura on an Android client, getting an "OpenGL 2.0+ required" error which I don't get on the host)

Could it be considered to support these unsupported OpenGL profiles by transmitting them using normal RDP session/video compression instead of rendering them on the client? For example Cura doesn't need a high quality Viewport and I could live with some compression artefacts.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Connection to Lenovo IMM

Please add connection to Lenovos IMM.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. RDP - Possibility of moving some of channels to different ports.

It’s important for traffic priorities- it’s easy to prioritize specific ports by 3rd party devices.

Something similar what citrix offers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base