Remote Desktop Services

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service to gather feature suggestions for Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Vote for a feature or submit your own below!

The Fine Print: We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Note that the Microsoft Remote Desktop Services suggestion box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Live migration" of users from one Farm member to another.

I'd like to be able to live migrate a User's session from Server A to Server B. This would allow me to more quickly perform maintenance on a node in my farm without logging off or disconnecting users. Drain is a good start, but still depends on the users logging out.

362 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  25 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Exclude Admins from User Profile Disks

Hi,
    Local administrators are also included in user profile disks which is really unuseful. We should be able to login to server with a local profile, for administer the server, install software, updates, etc. I really hope that this will change in a future release.

Best option would be to let us login with mstsc /admin and on that way avoid upd.

196 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve RDS Management Tools

If there's a problem into RDS environment, like RDVH lost, the only way to resolve it is open SQL DB with SSMS but is not too friendly for the classic IT Admin.

Is foundamental have a "AWESOME" tool to manage all the object without use SSMS (that is not installed by default).

S

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let us select multiple connected RDS users through the Gui

Let us select multiple RDS users in order to send them a message or disconnect them.
    This seemingly basic ability was possible up to 2008 r2 then was inexplicably taken away since Windows 2012 where we have to resort to scripting or select users one at a time!

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix Hyper-V Server 2019 - RDP not working

On Hyper-V Server 2019, so the standalone hypervisor, RDP is NOT working. There isn't even a listening process after specifically enabling RDP with sconfig. I created a post on https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c9d82adb-5dd5-4e43-878c-2e98e00c2943/hyperv-server-2019-rdp-not-working?forum=winserverhyperv about this. There is an MS rep telling us there 'MS is looking at it' but we never heard from him again.

Please fix RDP on Hyper-V Server 2019.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable "Settings Page Visibility" in Server 2016

Windows 10 "Settings Page Visibility" functionality needs to work in Server 2016. One can remove the entire control panel, but that then removes things like being able to set the background. We need a finer grained mechanism, like the one recently exposed in Windows 10 call "Settings Page Visibility".

This could also go under End User Experience.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Force drain of a server

Currently, when you try to drain the server, which is partly down (for insance: Windows Firewall service is crashed and won't come up), drain will fail. For these situations, you want to be able to force a server into drain.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fixup user profile disk unmount issue event-id 20491 etc.

Please fixup this issue where the user profile disk (UPD) does not get unmounted when a user logs off. Therefore, users get temporary profiles or a .001, 002 and so on profile and are not able to work with their own profiles during their next logoff/logon cycle. The Event ID 20491 with a description of “Remote Desktop Services could not disconnect a user disk for the user account with a SID of <SID>. The error code is 0xAA.93” will be logged..."

or error Code: 0x91.38

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Smart sizing" shrinks multi-monitor shadowing sessions to a level which is impractical to use.

"Smart sizing" shrinks multi-monitor shadowing sessions to a level which is impractical to use. How can usage be improved?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Export list of desktop from one machine, to be possible to import them in another one

I have number of desktops created in "Remote Desktop Services" in one of my laptops. I would like to have them the same in another machine. but there is no way to export list and import them in the current software. It would be ideal to have this feature as it makes it easy migrate to a new system.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. RD Gateway PowerShell support

RD Gateway should support PowerShell. Currently there is no way to perform some basic tasks that are only available via GUI. For example I would like to add a and remove devices/IP from the "Local Computer Groups" but there is no way to do this.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Remove requirement for having a Session Host or Virtualization Host server for a Remote Desktop Services Deployment

I understand the need to pick between one or the other (RDSH or RDVH) for the deployment, however I don't think the server is necessary to the deployment itself.

If a RDSH/RDVH server was not required and could be attached later, this would allow the deployment to be created first and then the "session collections" or "virtual desktop collections" be created later. This would allow the management infrastructure of the RDS environment to be stood up (RDWA, RDGW, RDCB, RDSL) and give time to another team to do configuration while not hindering the creation of the RDS environment.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Live - RDS Session Migration

Live session migration from Gateway, Connection broker, Session Host server to another redundant Server and no Connection drop while Draining (Connection state less) RDweb NLB.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable more options "Per user" instead of "Per Farm"

Examples: GPO for Copy/Paste restrictions are Computer settings. I need to limit certain classes of user from copy/paste and allow other without creating separate farms. The same situation applies to Printing features. Basicly I need to be able to apply "Computer" settings for RDS control to the "User" context.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Expression for VM name in collection

Be able to use an expression for VM name to have a fixed number of digits. like PC0001,PC0002...PC0010..PC0100...

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. RDS ServerManager: Arrangement of Collections.

Today it is not possible to arrange the collections by name - instead the collections are simple arranged in there creation order.
    We will run over 50 collections - the current solution makes management very difficult. Even in Powershell you cannot sort the list.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. RD Gateway Computer Groups allow wildcards, subnets & hostname lookup

Currently in computer groups, each device must be explicitly defined and must be defined multiple times. (Currently: To connect to just one computer on our network we need to specify the device's IP, the FQDN, the NetBIOS name, any DNS aliases, any alternate IPs, etc.) This gets out of hand when you need to do this for an entire subnet and then on top, enter the same settings on multiple RD Gateway servers manually (no automated tools available).
    We would like to see the ability to subnets (10.1.2.0/24) or ranges (10.1.2.10-10.1.2.20) or wildcards (10.1.2.*). Something to make this easier to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Backwards compatability of core infrastructure

I would like to be able to build a new 2012 R2 RDS infrastructure but be able to publish RemoteApp from my 2008 R2 RDS session hosts. It's very complex to try and migrate the many applications and farms at once. I also have applications that depend on specific versions of IE or other software that cannot run on 2012 R2. Even a limited functionality mode that would downlevel features of lower RDS version session hosts would help bridge the gap.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Delegate rds session management to non administrators

Console or tool to delegate rds session management to non Administrators to logoff users,....

We need that for our help desk

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base