Please enter your feature suggestions...

Disable menubar, access with Hotkey

The drop down menu bar at the top of the screen when using Full screen mode is preventing me from accessing the top of my screen's RDP session.
I would like a way to disable this menu bar so it only is accessible by a hot key, i.e Apple Key + 1 or 2.
The previous version of the Remote Desktop app did this.

74 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Taisen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can We Solve this ISSUE???? Come on, this is 2018, we sill have this issue, very very annoying every time when you close a window, it pop up the mac's bar...

• Wing Huang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can we WRITE the variables to the application? For example:

defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos MenuBarAutoShowDelayEnabled -bool YES
        defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos MenuBarAutoShowDelay -float 300.0

• RobR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on really????? This thread started in 2015 and the problem still exists in 2018? This is just plain silly. Just give an option in RDP preferences to turn it off or on. What is so hard???

• Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

having an option to disable the menu would be nice. when within VMware Workstation or RDP it can be hard to manipulate the windows application that also have hidden menu (full screen)

• Johan Ljunggren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In full-screen mode this is very annoying to get the menu scroll down. This slows down your work since you don't want to hit the edge of the screen, you have to slow down the cursor movement because your afraid to hit the edge, and that makes one work slower.
        And if you hit the the edge of the screen and the menu scrolls down, then you have to move away, and click somewhere to continue working.

Just add 0.5 seconds to the delay delay before showing the menu would change things to the better I think. But I would also love to see this as a setting so I can set the delay or turn off showing the menu all together.

• Julien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be great if it was possible to temporarily prevent the cursor to go on the very first line of the screen but let the access to this line on the first pixels on the left of the screen, so the menu bar will still be available but not boring anymore. Is there someone who knows an app to do something like that (in waiting the Microsoft developper team solution) ?

Thanks

• Lisong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm living in the happy world of using both mac and windows machine at the same time. The only annoying thing is the top mac menu bar and the Remote Desktop window frame kept show up when I try to reach for applications close button within RDP session. Can you just disable it please!!! Anyone who use it in fullscreen mode will start fighting it from day one, you guys didn't notice it?

• Houston Crouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OR make the drop down bar smaller and center it in the screen like a traditional pc based rdc window. The bar extending the enter screen makes it so difficult to access menu items along the top of an rdc session. I would think since this is a MS developed app you all would have this figured out already.

• Dany Connolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add that when hovering the mouse anywhere at the top of the screen, there should be a tiny horizontal bar showing up in the center of the screen allowing us to click on it. This would then confirm our intention to ask to display the menubar. Same thing for the DOCK, please ! Very frustrating to wait for any of these to disappear and resume our work.

• Justin Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My understanding is that RD is using OS X's native full screen functionality and there is no documented way to control the delay for the menu bar to appear. According to this post over in a Citrix forum, it appears there is a private API that can accomplish this but I doubt that it would be tenable to use in a production version of RD.
        http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/357043-uiux-issues/

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love that the menubar (and dock) automatically appear, but wish they'd delay just a bit so they don't interfere with using the RDP session. In particular I'm always clicking the exit full screen button on Mavericks instead of the RDP app's close window button.

• Troy Zoschke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make the bar at the top not appear unless the cursor is there for more then a couple seconds. When going to the corners to back to desktop or other options the bar gets in the way.

• PTR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutly necessary! It's quite annoying (understatement) to get the mac menubar overlay when you want to click something topside, like the close windows button of a maximised app or when you accidentally go to far with the pointer for a top menu.

Feedback and Knowledge Base