Please enter your feature suggestions...

HighDPI / Retina Support

Give the client HighDPI support like in Windows

477 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stefan Scherer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news? We have 451 votes. Still missing this one feature to have crispy remote Windows desktops on my Mac.

• s0lution commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In version 8.x everything was somehow sharper on Retina than now in the version 10.x. Now it's horrible blurred. So please revert back to the version 8 scaling/smoothing or whatever.

• bucky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remote Desktop is unusable for me with an external monitor 1920x1080 without being able to increase DPI.

On my Windows 10 laptop, I have Display DPI set to 150%. But when I use Remote Desktop from Mac Mini with external monitor, the windows icons and fonts are tiny because it can only use DPI 100%. If I go the Windows Display Settings, it says "The display settings cannot be changed from a remote session".

• Stefan Scherer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add HiDPI support. I just tried the Royal TS which really looks awesome, crispy fonts etc through RDP from a MacBook Pro Late 2013 with Retina Display connecting to a Windows 10 machine.

I believe MS RDP Beta is much better with file transfer through RDP, so I really would love to see this happen.

• Solution finder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally, I've found a working app: Royat TSX, available at https://www.royalapplications.com/ts/mac/features. Lite version is free and it is good enough for me.
        Screen refresh is a little slower (there is a little lag) and sometime there are visible blocks of screen updated at a time, but text finally looks damn fine and crisp, like it should on a retina screen. Good enough to stop using Microsoft's garbage.

• Matt H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a suggestion for those struggling with this as I am. Connect to the Windows host using a non-dpi RDP resolution and turn off font-smoothing in Windows. Control Panels > System > Advanced System Settings > Performance Settings... > Uncheck 'Smooth edges of screen fonts'. At least the text is crisp and does not hurt ones eyes.

• Edmund Kapusniak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is extremely frustrating. Both with 8.0.40 on the App Store and the 8.3 beta, I am forced to choose between requesting a non-retina resolution and getting blurry text, or requesting a high-resolution desktop and having all the text and icons be extremely small.

There appears to be no way in Windows 10 to change the display scale from within the remote desktop session, so the problem seems to be that the Mac client is not properly requesting the correct display scale for my Mac's retina screen.

It seems from my web searches that RDP clients on Windows, at least, pass the display scale of the client machine to the server when the session is opened. It would be great if the Mac client could be updated to do the same.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scaling still does not work on MacBook Pro Retina.
        Please, add a drop-down with pre-populated values or a text box to enter scaling in percent.
        What makes me so disappointed is the fact that the feature already exists and works in iOS on iPad,
        so it is definitely possible to do it - look it up in source code from iOS version!.
        If it can be implemented in iOS - which is much more restricted environment than full macOS,
        then I see this only as a deliberate "feature" to inflict pain on Mac users
        while trying to steer users towards Microsoft platform, like Surface line of products.

• headkaze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to edit /Users/$USER/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.rdc.mac/Data/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.rdc.mac.plist to manually add @Size(3840 2160) to preferences.resolutions.
        My Windows 8.1 machine is set to scale 200% and works very well @ 3840 x 2160 but my Windows 10 machine doesn't appear to use the scaling setting. So from what I can understand this is a Windows 10 issue. Please fix!

• Geoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very frustrating. Retina macbooks are there since 2012. Why isn't this still not supported?

I'm connecting to a Windows 2016 server on Azure. Latest, biggest, best, whatever.

Most important feature of a remote desktop session doesn't work properly and I'm stuck with blurry display.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm running a 15" rMBP with native resolution of 2880x1800. The experience in this beta app (just like the current/older app) is absolutely terrible. The screen is incredibly pixelated. It is obvious that only 1440x900 is being sent across the connection and then upsampled/anti-aliased locally to 2880x1800.
        Unlike the old app I can't even define a custom 2880x1800 resolution to select. In the old app if I select 2880x1800 and scaling I could at least get native resolution, though everything is absolutely tiny and illegible. What I need is that plus 200% DPI scaling.

Please give us 200% DPI scaling, or at least let us manually change the DPI setting. Seriously ... this can't be that difficult.

• E. Rüggeberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't dare to buy a retina display iMac, as the font size of the only Windows App I have to use is too small on a "normal" display ALREADY. With a retina displayit will be unreadable without microskope

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base