Please enter your feature suggestions...

[Beta app] use cmd key in windows instead of ctrl

Use the cmd key in windows instead of the ctrl key. For instance when selecting muliple file in explorer.

142 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

R. Polmans shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least, provide an option to use Cmd+C/Cmd+V for copy/paste like RDC for Mac had. Trying to switch between using Cmd and Ctrl depending on which window I'm in is maddening and results in frequent errors.

I am also for this feature. Just remapping functional keys will make everybody happy. To remember that you have to use different functional keys in different windows on desktop is pretty schizophrenic.
        It's not really complicated feature, pretty much every other software has it implemented. But it's sitting here for years and its not even marked for implementation. So it does not seem that it will be ever implemented.
        Either developers are not working on Mac computers or they want to make work as miserable as possible to punish as for not buying windows.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to kill the Windows button. Or at least remap it so it is not on the command key. The shortcuts in this program should function exactly like the shortcuts in any Mac program.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just swap these keys. Seriously, it is not hard Microsoft.

• mail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CMD+F opens "windows Search" if you want to search something in text or word.

• Curtis Tasker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need additional key combinations like cmd+A and cmd+L, cmd+N, cmd+T, cmd+arrow keys, etc. as well we cut/copy/paste.

• Travis Robison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES YES YES YES YES. I like that the beta has the option in there for copy and paste, but this is not sufficent. I dont want to think about which button to press to undo something or to save something. just allow it to be swapped in the preferences!!

Agree with those that have said just make it an option to swap Ctrl and Cmd for the whole session.

• JackieChin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any body knows how to bind Control-Space to Cmd-Space by setting Xml File?

Below settings didn't work for me.

<transform>
        <from command="1" key="Space" />
        <to control="1" key="Space" />
        </transform>

Thanks a lot.

• Eric Geekinit Cosner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These are great improvement to Microsoft Remote Desktop app. I started editing the ClipboardActionTransformations.xml suggested by Chandler. Anyone have any idea how to configure arrow keys into the XML file?

Basically, I want to remap [option]+[left/right arrow] to [control][left/right arrow] respectively so I make my cursor skip over words. I have a bunch of these keymaps that would improve my ability to edit text when remotely connected to windows development machines. Thanks!

• Tom Wardrop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add ability to remap modifier keys, like macOS has in System Preferences.
        On both my Mac's, I remap Command to Control, and vice versa so hotkeys between my Windows and Mac computers are mostly the same. The problem is that when I remote a Windows machine from my Mac with remapped keys, it gets flipped back around the wrong way as my command key is sending a control key signal to the computer, and vice versa.

• Theodore Norvell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Elaborating on Chandler's post, you can edit file /Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop Beta.app/Contents/Resources/Keyboard/DefaultTransformations.xml . I added
        <!-- Command+A to Control+A -->
        <transform>
        <from command="1" key="A" />
        <to control="1" key="A" />
        </transform>
        within the transformations element. But, while this worked for cmd-A, I could not affect cmd-Q and cmd-W. This is on version Version: 8.2.33 (Build: 773). Since I use a mac keyboard without a "windows logo key", it would make the most sense if the command keys were consistently mapped to the windows logo key or if one were mapped to the logo key and one to the control key. Since different people use different keyboards, the choice should be up to the user.

• Brian Derstine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would prefer to have Command mapped to Ctrl for the whole session. Ctrl-W to close a window, Ctrl-Q to close an app, Ctrl-S to save, Shift-Ctrl-A for select all etc., not just C,V,X. It is really annoying to have the start menu pop-up whenever I'm trying to use a Ctrl keyboard shortcut. I'd prefer to simply map the Start menu key to the Mac keyboard Ctrl or Option button and map the Ctrl key to the Mac keyboard Command button.

• Lyle Dodge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cmd-A, P, and many others would be helpful. Maybe the app can detect if the keyboard has Cmd key and map appropriately. As some of have said they use Windows keyboards on their Mac and forcing Cmd redirection then wouldn't make sense. If detecting is not possible them maybe a simple "Keyboard Scheme" can be added to the UI where the user can select sane defaults for their keyboard of choice and optionally disable keys one-by-one without hacking XML.

• Michael Oryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is fine, but it has to be optional. Some of us use a Windows keyboard on a Mac when using RDP, and this would mess that up by requiring us to use the Windows Key for copy/paste/etc.

• Ian Rugg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! This would be so great. There should be an option just to change all CMD to CTRL. We are missing so many actions.

• Mary Jo Sminkey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This drives me nuts, since I am very frequently doing copy-cut-paste actions on the remote server and having to use different keys than you normally use is a constant frustration. A simple setting for whether to use the Mac preferred key vs what it currently uses should be easy enough.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base