Please enter your feature suggestion...

Credential Nicknames

.\Administrator can be different on different computers, need to be able to save multiple copies of the same credentials.

17 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wayne HoggettWayne Hoggett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There is a solution in place today for this although we know we need to make this more intuitive.

If two PCs have the same username like administrator, they can be saved by prepending the username with the machine name instead of just a dot. PC1\administrator and PC2\administrator.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this approach versus having to add an additional field for the nickname.

David Belanger

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Luka PribanićLuka Pribanić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi David, and thanks for your reply via email. I'll be free to paste it here:
        "Thank you for submitting feedback on the Remote Desktop client for Windows 10 around the need for credential nicknames.

Today we allow this scenario by pre-pending the username with the name of the machine. For example you could have machine1\admin and machine2\admin with different passwords and tied to different machines.

Do you still see a need for having a separate field to specify a nickname for each credentials or does pre-pending the machine name fill the need once you know you can do that?

Thank you for your time,
        David Belanger"

Like I've already mentioned, and some others commented as well, this is not really a solution.

Scenario #1:
        - PC11 + administrator + pass: 1234
        - PC12 + administrator + pass: 1234
        - PC21 + administrator+ pass: 5678
        - PC22 + administrator+ pass: 5678

So:
        - if I pre-pend the username with "PC11\Administrator" I can't use it with PC12 as it will be declined.
        - If I don't prepend with anything I won't know if "Administrator" is the one used for PC11+PC12 or the one used for PC21+PC22

Now if I'd have a nickname "group 1x" and "group 2x" all would be good! I can use just "Administrator" or ".\Administrator" which will allow login to all devices (device-agnostic), while I'll know which one has pwd 1234 and which has pwd 5678.

Scenario #2:
        - MarketingPC1 + administrator + pass:mark1
        - MarketingPC2 + administrator + pass:mark1
        - MarketingServer + administrator + pass:mark1

- SalesPC1 + administrator + pass:sales2
        - SalesPC2 + administrator + pass:sales2

Now if I prepend, I get same issue as in the scenario #1, and if I don't prepend again I don't know which admin is which.
        If I can make a nickname "Administrator for Marketing" and "Administrator for Sales" - problem solved. Call it nickname, alias, or a helpful tag, but it's needed.

I know I'm running in circles, but that's the whole game :) I'm just trying to describe it in more ways :)

• SMSM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Client site 1 and Client site 2 use generic domain and or PC names example Server\admin or Intranet\Admin. Nicknames are better and resolve this issue the suggested fix from the forum managers does not.

• Brandon GarnerBrandon Garner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make a nickname field. We use the same set of credentials on more than one machine at times. For example, if there are two servers for one solution, the local administrator will likely have the same credentials...so prepending the username with the computer name isn't helpful. If prepending is the only option, then we might as well set the username and password in each profile (like the current full version of the RDP app) rather than in a central credential store. Hope that makes sense...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Poder guardar configuración de cuentas en OneDrive para compartidlas con mis otros equipos.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Falta un nuevo campo en el formulario creación de cuentas de usuario con el fin de poder tener diferentes cuentas con el mismo nombre de usuario. Tengo varios servidores con el nombre de usuario Administrator y la aplicación sólo me deja crear una sola cuenta con el nombre Administrator con lo que me obliga a introducir la contraseña cada vez que accedo a cada uno de mis servidores. Solucionen esto por que es un problema. También he detectado problemas con copiar y pegar en Continuum con Windows Lumia 950 XL.

• Petr WinklerPetr Winkler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same problem is connected to the Remote Desktop server, where server is the same and changed by the user.

• Luka PribanićLuka Pribanić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@David Belanger - you have to "think bigger" so to say. Once you start adding larger network(s) of PCs, specially once you add some grouping AND/OR folders, you'll come to situation where eg. one piece of network, or type of PCs, or department, or whatever has same local admin password, and this "group #1" will use .\Administrator with pwd "123456" while "group #2" will use local .\Administrator with pwd "654321". This is very noticeable in support environments, where you could have shared support between several departments, networks, or even companies, and each of these is using different local admin password, but each has many PCs so you don't want to save them as PC1\Admin ... PC20\Admin, because ".\Administrator" with nickname "group #1" would cover 20, 50 or 500 PCs, and likewise ".\Administrator" with nickname "group #2" would cover another 20/50/500/whatever PCs. Ofcourse, this can be "Administrator" account or simple support account of any kind, logic is the same.

I imagine this RDP app as a place where any support staff can "live" in, where you'd open RDP app, have several "folders" in it were you'd divide them as you see fit (by network, department, company, type of device, whatever), and you'd be able to easily support hundreds of PCs through the single app. And thus adding new PCs should be as simple as entering IP/hostname and picking one of the pre-defined "templates", and if that's not possible as a template file on it's own, than having 2-3 more fields like "group", "account" and so on, so if I click "New connection" next I'd enter "IP or hostname" than I'd "Pick account to use with this connection, or enter new account", and finally I'd be asked "Where do you want to save this?" and I'd pick folder/group where this device should be in my organizational scheme.

Do that, and since this is universal app - I'd be able to have hundreds of ready to use connections always at hand, be it on desktop, laptop, tablet or phone.

Feedback and Knowledge Base