Please enter your feature suggestion...

Allow copy and paste of files between local and remote machines

In the standard Remote Desktop Connection software you can move files between the remote and local computers easily. Provide a file copy mechanism for doing this in the new client.

330 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jim MJim M shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Definitely a feature we’d like to add at some point. Copy/Paste of text is now available after it was added in the last update. File copy is more restrictive due to the sandbox the app runs in but we do plan on looking for a way to support this.

David Bélanger

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ken HanKen Han commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we need the File Copy feature. I am currently still use mRemote, I can't see that is replaceable unless this features is added.

• Glenn BarberGlenn Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability to transfer files to windows machines has been a huge problem for us as we are a Microsoft Application Service Provider using the Windows Server Remote Desktop functionality. We have users on windows 10 who download this app from the app store to access our system not knowing that it lacks this important feature (which is in the remote desktop features included in windows). They complain about the lack of this function and we have to get them to uninstall it and revert to the old version.

I wish they would put a black-box warning about this on the App store so Windows users know not to use this until file transfer is supported.

• Eugene PalmerEugene Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to happen!! Remote Web Workplace with SBS 2008 keeps getting broken with Windows updates, we have no real choice but to use the Remote Desktop app, but without copy-paste between sessions it does not fulfill function requirements.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being a UWP developer now, I got to admit, these guys have their work cut out for them. UWP is too restrictive to the point that some basic things are not possible: global shortcut keys, let alone file access. I think they need to work with the core net team and hope/pray that they make UWP at least a tiny bit more usable. Otherwise the apps will continue to suck in the windows store.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

POR FAVOR ACTIVAR ESTA FUNCION YA QUE EN EL CAPITAN NO FUNCIONA PARA NADA Y ES IMPORTANTISIMA

• Bruce GillespieBruce Gillespie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I ran up the Microsoft Remote Desktop on my Mac (El Capitan) and accessed the Azure RemoteApp Visio 2013 trial to work around the unavailability of Visio for Mac. Brilliant! You guys rock. I then went to import my Visio diagrams I need to work on. Epic fail! No way to import. So close, yet so far.

• Nik GreenNik Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless I'm mistaken, copy and paste period doesn't work between local and remote machines.

I connect to multiple customers machines using support accounts, but once logged in often need to enter credentials kept on my local machine onto the remote machine.

Normally copy and paste from clipboard is the answer, but even this basic feature seems to be missing.

I understand it's a preview version but this really is a bit of a show stopper.

• MauriceMaurice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess file copy via clipboard might be impossible due to the restrictions for Windows Store Apps. Though implementing a file picker might be possible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base